Thursday, June 12, 2014

Kid at Heart

Well, it seems I had forgotten my password, and google just got back to me with some help to get access to this forum without starting a new blog. That being said, hello readers, it’s nice to write again!
I was watching some of the neighborhood kids play in the rain the other day. Let me say this rain was epic first of all; I'm talking localized flooding and rivers swelling up kind of rain. But what was interesting about the kids in the gutter was what they were doing. They were building a dam! Does anyone else remember building the most amazing feats of engineering as children? I sure do, I am almost convinced some of the structures I built as a child still stand. The dam blocking a river at summer camp or the countless treehouses in Tennessee or the massive sand castles at the beach, with moats that would deter the mighty ocean.
Okay, maybe they aren’t still around, but they were fun to build, even the little gutter dams that made the run off stop alter its course and continue on to the drain. These little glimpses into the time we spent as children are amazing. It made me ponder what "grown up” means, because I almost ran outside in the rain to help them build some epic dams. I think grown up means nothing more than having the money to do the things you couldn’t afford as a child. As young adults we play video games and go out to parties and generally have a great time. Then in mid-life, we have those "crisis" and buy the things we always wanted, go on trips, go to parties, and play games with our own kids. In old age, we are still children, we collect cars instead of plastic spoons or Pokémon cards, and we watch TV.
As we get older we choose to do more boring things like, go to work and sleep. But mankind never loses that spark for fun, for playing and creating. We all have some form of inner kid inside deep down; no matter how much we try to hide them. So next time, I see the kids outside building dams in the gutter. I will be outside with a shovel enjoying the rain. I may even splash in some puddles.
Hope today is a good one,
austininva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pooptine Chapel

Once upon a time, I went to work. I do this most days, its a thing. Well the funny thing about this day in particular was it began with m...