Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Day I Met A Hero

I have not met many "famous" people in my life, but I did get a chance to meet a really great one. Without getting to depressing, while I was recovering in Bahrain after a really serious illness, I was waiting for some friends to get online so I could chat them up. Bahrain, for those of you who do not know, isn’t the most exciting place for recover patients. I was waiting playing a video game, when this very large, hairy hand grabbed and shook my shoulder. My first thought was I was about to be abducted by some terrorist. Though I was quick to remind myself I was on a Navy base, the chance of that happening was slim.
 

No, as I turned around, I saw a bearded man, who I did not recognize right away. He asked me what game I was playing, and I explained it was World of Warcraft. (No I am not ashamed) He went on to say what he liked about the current patch, and then he laughed, I had heard this laugh before, on a movie a long time ago. Mrs. Doubtfire! Oh my God it was Robin Williams in the flesh talking to me about some game! Well I was floored, and he stayed to chat for another minute or two, and then told me he was doing a free comedy show that evening and he would love it if I would come. I shook my head yes, because by now the only words that would have been able to come out would have been a "uh huh" type response. Not the most flattering reply.

I went to his show, and it was funny. But as the title suggests, I met a hero. Now, I’m not just talking about good deeds, because Mr. Williams did a lot of those. But, a hero inspires, and Robin Williams has inspired me many times. His humorous view of life, and painstaking effort to make sure that the world was lighter for every other person in it. To me, that’s what makes one a hero, motivating others to be better than they are. To that end, I hope that in some little way these story’s I share brighten your day, and make you want to turn around and shine on someone else.
We humans get so caught up in the here and now; we sometimes forget there are other people in our lives. We forget that the only reason we may have a grasp on sanity still is because of others actions. Science shows that the human mind can take any amount of stress if you laugh for a few minutes each day. So go ahead laugh out loud, roll on the floor.


As always
 
Hope todays a good one,
austininva
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pooptine Chapel

Once upon a time, I went to work. I do this most days, its a thing. Well the funny thing about this day in particular was it began with m...