Sunday, March 15, 2015

Memories

When I think about the fun times I have had in life, I can remember a lot. Summer camps, movies nights, sleep overs... I mean the list could go on forever. Sometimes stand out, very clear in my memory. The day I got my Eagle Scout Award, the day I built a tree house, the first funeral I attended. And sometimes the memories are blurred, either from time, or the pain associated with them. I remember falling into a trash pit in Bermuda, it was a sheer drop for a thousand feet, and then a trash monster was at the bottom and was going to eat me... or at least my young brain thought. I remember the day I came close to dying, and thinking about so much, and not remembering anything.


What we remember is so interesting, what we don't remember is even more. But todays post is not a depressing one, its actually quite happy.


I remember living in Tennessee, at 10815 Dallas Hollow Road, Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee, 37379. I only remember that because I had to write it a trillion times when I made Eagle Scout. I sent invitations to every famous world leader I could think of. I remember the large hill in our backyard, the treehouse I built at the top of it. I remember hopping the fence and exploring my forest beyond. I also remember our tire swing. It was a great swing, right at the edge of a steep drop off, so when you swung you could go over the drop, and you felt like you were so high up. It was a great swing, one day we learned that if you twist a tire swing around in a circle, you can have it turn you in a circle at incredible speeds. remember this one fact.


We also had a stray cat that stumbled into our lives one day, we still to this day have one of her offspring still alive. We called her Miss Kitty. She came to us one day while we were all playing outside, and just walked up to us. This cat was kind of crazy, and we don't know if she was already crazy or if it became of her adventure the day she came to us.


Remember how I said we loved to spin in our swing, well when you spin a rope over and over again for long enough it shrinks; I, being the eldest had an idea, the cat would probably love to spin as well. So, we grabbed the cat put her in the tire and spun the swing as far up as we could. On tip toes we spun it further and further, we grabbed boxes to stand on so we could spin it more. Until arriving at some predetermined number we let her go.


The tire began to spin, and spin, and as it gained speed and momentum it began to spin sideways, much like a cowboy spins his lasso sideways. faster and faster the rope released its pent up energy, like a rubber band that stretched too far and snaps. At about ten seconds into the spin, the cat, Miss Kitty began a howl. All of us kids did not know cats howled, but let me assure you they most defiantly do. It was hilarious to us, we could not stop the swing it was going too fast, so we had to let it finish, the cat continued to howl. It was humorous, as the spin continued the sound came and went, louder and the softer. We were rolling on the ground holding our sides to keep them from bursting.

 
Eventually the tire winded as it was came to a stop. We expected the cat to leap out and run for the hills, but nothing happened. We approached the tire cautiously, cats are known to be vicious and a scratch can be really painful. the cat seemed to be asleep with its eyes open. I would have thought it to be dead if not for the heavy breathing. We picked her up carefully and tossed her onto the grass, again to avoid a scratch. the cat began to walk, but it wasn't really walking. It was more akin to a drunken sailor, coming back to his ship after a heavy night of drinking. After about a minute of trying, she just lay down and stayed there for close to ten minutes.


The cat never left us, and in a day or two we ended up adopting her, and had the cat until later some animal most likely ate her. RIP Miss Kitty, you gave us much joy, and a kitten that has clung to life like it was a cookie. Merry, I will write about her at some time.


Again, it's funny the stuff we remember, and I remember that cat well. See what I did there, the title is a song from the musical cats, about a post detailing a cat. Clever right?


Hope today is amazing,
austininva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pooptine Chapel

Once upon a time, I went to work. I do this most days, its a thing. Well the funny thing about this day in particular was it began with m...